“When we focus on our gratitude, the tide of disappointment goes out and the tide of love rushes in.”
– Kristin Armstrong
My family has a Thanksgiving tradition where we go around the table and everyone says the one thing they are most grateful for this year. It’s a time of reflection for us all and usually sparks up a heartfelt conversation that brings us closer together.
As I was thinking over the one thing I would share this year, I realized this was next to impossible. There are countless things I am thankful for and each one, big or small, deserves acknowledgement.
With inspiration from Madelyn Mulvaney’s article in Issue 1 of Bella Grace, “The Art of the Gratitude List“, I decided to take a moment to make my own gratitude list … a thank you to all that fills my heart.
1. The amazing people in my life: my fiancé, family, friends. They push me to be the best version of myself and are a constant support system.
2. My golden retriever, Hudson. With his constant wagging tail and his generous nature of giving kisses, he has taught me so much about selfless love.
3. Relaxing nights filled with deep conversations
4. The sound of the ocean
5. Artisan cheeses
6. Overcoming obstacles
7. Cuddle weather
9. Traveling to new places
11. Candles, candles, and more candles … especially rustic scents such as sandalwood and pine
12. The lessons I’ve learned from my past
14. The smell of rain
15. Meeting new people
16. My free spirit
18. Camping (Especially if it involves s’mores!)
20. Laughing so much I can hardly breathe
21. Wine tasting
22. Music that moves me … physically and emotionally
24. Dinner parties
25. The color blue
26. City lights at night
27. Dirty chai lattes
28. Personal growth
29. Spontaneous adventures
30. The crackling of a fireplace
31. Desert sunsets
32. The smell of lilies
33. The challenges life throws at us
34. Discovering a new novel worth treasuring
35. The endless possibilities of what tomorrow will bring
This year, when my family goes around the table and shares what we are thankful for, my answer will be my full heart. I am beyond grateful to be surrounded by the beautiful things life has to offer, especially those I love and who love me in return. If life has taught me anything thus far, it is to not take anything for granted.
And to always let love in.
What are you grateful for? Let us know in the comments.