November 15, 2016
The Other List
“Beware the barrenness of a busy life.” — Socrates
Preparing for a trip recently, I found myself overwhelmed with an especially long to-do list.
As I plowed through each task, diligently checking off the completed items, it suddenly occurred to me that many activities I consider essential — the kind that make my heart glad — never get jotted down the way that stop the mail or water the plants do.
So for fun, and as a break from the more mundane jobs I was tackling, I turned over the to-dos, and on the other side of the paper, created The Other List.
- Kiss my husband. [Repeat!]
- Dab some lavender oil on my wrists, pausing to rub them together and inhale the soothing scent.
- Cuddle my dog, my faithful companion who gratefully leans in when I slow down and hold her close.
- Spend five minutes stretching.
- Send an I am thinking of you text to a friend.
- Light a favorite candle….or two or three.
- Laugh with my kids. [I listed this twice.]
- Turn on some music. Sing….loudly!
I’ll admit that yes, sadly, there are days when these simple, wonderful things do not happen amongst all of the ceaseless to-dos. Regularly consulting The Other List as I tackled my ordinary docket of chores, anticipating both the action and the ticking off of each sweet entry, brought me immense satisfaction.
It also helped me to ensure that another day did not slip away where I hadn’t taken the time to …
Or appreciate the many, many small joys of our human journey.
Socrates, wise man that you were, I’m listening.
Will you join me?
Suzanne Walcher’s busy Midwest life includes her husband, two children and sweet Gracie dog. Besides writing to-do lists, she shares her thoughts at www.privetandholly.com, capturing moments that are beautiful, ordinary and often, in between.
Tell us, what will you write on your Other List?