May 26, 2017
5 Ways to Embrace Summer
Photo credit: Rawpixel
Summer’s almost here … can you feel it? The days are longer, the air is warmer, and sun’s brighter. Soon, the sound of splashing in the pool will fill our days and the smell of campfires will fill our nights.
I have many reasons I love summer so much: I love warmer weather; I live for barbecues in the backyard, and I yearn for days spent by the pool with a fluffy novel in my hand. What I love most, though, is that everything and everyone seem a little lighter during summer. Things feel more relaxed and people get a little more playful. It’s during the summer that I feel most alive and most like myself.
In hopes of passing my love of summer on to some of you, here are my favorite ways to embrace summer:
- Head outdoors. Remember being a kid and staying out until our moms called us in for the night? We played hard and used our imagination to keep ourselves entertained. While it’s easy to get home from work and turn on Netflix, consider grabbing a book and heading out to your yard or patio.
- Get a pool. A few years ago, we started a tradition of having a BYOP (bring your own pool) party each summer. Our friends show up with small kiddie pools in tow and we fill them, and then spend the day soaking and relaxing in a few inches of water.
- Play lawn games. There are so many fun lawn games available these days that it can be hard to choose a favorite. Beanbag toss and bocce ball are my go-to choices, and they keep me laughing all summer long.
- Make s’mores. Who doesn’t love that classic combination of graham crackers, chocolate, and marshmallows? Invite some friends and family over for a bonfire, and spend the night chatting and making these tasty treats.
- Find or create the perfect playlist. Most music streaming sites will have ready-to-go playlists that can be the perfect soundtrack to those long summer days and nights. If you can’t find one you love, come up with your own. The Beach Boys and ‘80s hip-hop are always at the top of my list.
No matter how you spend your time in the summer, just be sure to enjoy and embrace it, because we all know how quickly it will go by!
Comments ( 1 )
April 19, 2023 at 4:25 pm
This was lovely, Christen! You have not only transported me back to summertime as a child, but you have reminded me of some things we can replicate with our granddaughters when they come to visit soon!
Enjoy your summer!